- Manager, Pharmaceutical and Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre
- School of Science & Computing -Dept of Science
- +353 0 51306167
- [email protected]
- 1969 - Main Building
- Main Campus
My Blog or Website
Niall O'Reilly joined the PMBRC as Centre Manger in 2009 and has over 12 years pharmaceutical R&D experience, over half of which has been in industry. Niall has overseen the development of the centre since 2009 including the coordination of projects with almost 60 industry partners totalling €2.8m. Prior to joining the PMBRC, Niall held positions in Élan Drug Delivery (now Alkermes) and Genzyme Ireland Ltd. working in areas such as formulation and process development; analytical method development and validation; stability; clinical manufacture, scale-up and commercialisation. He has experience in the development of tablets, multiparticulates, capsules, powders, softgels, transdermals and injectables. Niall’s research interests include controlled release drug delivery, drug product formulation and pharmaceutical analysis. Niall holds a B.Sc. degree in Industrial Chemistry from the University of Limerick and was awarded a Ph.D. from the same institution for his research on biotransformations in organic solvents.
Research Group : Pharmaceutical and Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre ►
- Drug delivery
- Drug product formulation
- Pharmaceutical analysis and characterisation
- Baghel, S.; Cathcart, H., O’Reilly, N.J.*,Theoretical and experimental investigation of drug-polymer interaction and miscibility and its impact on drug supersaturation in aqueous medium, Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm., 2016, 107, 16-31.
- Baghel, S.; Cathcart, H., Redington, W.; O’Reilly, N.J.*, An investigation into the crystallization tendency/kinetics of amorphous active pharmaceutical ingredients: A case study with dipyridamole and cinnarizine, Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm., 2016, 104, 59-71.
- Baghel, S.; Cathcart, H., O’Reilly, N.J.*, Polymeric amorphous solid dispersions: A review of amorphization, crystallization, stabilization, solid-state characterization, and aqueous solubilization of biopharmaceutical classification system Class II drugs, J. Pharm. Sci., 2016, in press, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.xphs.2015.10.008
- Behl, G.; Iqbal, J.; O’Reilly, N.J.; McLoughlin, P.; Fitzhenry, L. Synthesis and Characterization of Poly(2-hydroxyethylmethacrylate) Contact Lenses Containing Chitosan Nanoparticles as an Ocular Delivery System for Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate. Pharm. Res. 2016 in press, DOI 10.1007/s11095-016-1903-7
- Elsiddig, R.; Hughes, H.; Owens, E.; O’Reilly, N.J.; O’Grady, D.; McLoughlin, P., Kinetic and thermodynamic evaluation of phosphate ions binding onto sevelamer hydrochloride, Int. J. Pharm., 2014, 474, 25-32.
- O’Reilly, N.J.; Magner, E., The effect of solvent on the catalytic properties of Microperoxidase-11, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2011, 13, 5304-5313.
- O’Reilly, N.J.; Magner, E., The electrochemistry of Cytochrome c in aqueous and mixed solvent solutions: Thermodynamics, kinetics and the effect of solvent dielectric constant, Langmuir, 2005, 21, 1009-1014.
My Professional Experience
Waterford Institute of Technology Manager, PMBRC, WIT 2009 to date
Genzyme Ireland Ltd., Waterford Development Scientist 2007 - 2009
Élan Drug Delivery, Athlone Formulation Scientist 2000 - 2002
Élan Drug Delivery, Athlone Analytical Chemist 1998 - 2000
Intel Ireland Ltd., Leixlip Process Engineer (co-op) 1997