Certificate in Biomedical Engineering

CertificateBiomedical Engineering (Postgraduate)

Cork Road
1 year
16 Aug 20


Level 9 Certificate in Biomedical Engineering -  30 Credits

This one year (9 hours per week) postgraduate Certificate programme aims to produce graduates with strong technical skills and applied problem solving for the Biomedical Engineering sector in the South East region and nationally.  The programme addresses the changing skills needs of manufacture and R&D in the high value biomedical sectors of Ireland including, medical devices, pharmaceutical and life sciences, while offering the student the skillset for new product development and strategic technological awareness.  The student will attain an academic mastery in the field of biomedical engineering, while still having a broad knowlege of other relative fields and how these converge.

The Certificate in Biomedical Engineering meets the needs of the industrial sectors that are of strategic importance for Ireland including Medical Devices, Pharmaceutical, Healthcare, Food Production & Technology.

The programme has been designed under guidance from some of the leading industrial professionals in Ireland and abroad.


1 full day (9 hours) on campus for 11 weeks in each of two semesters.


Employed people will pay a fee of €350 (10% of the total programme fee) with the Government paying the remaining €3,150 (90%) of the fee on your behalf.   The fee will be payable only at the final stage of the application process when you have been offered a place.  The course is fully funded for unemployed people and people returning to formal employment - please see http://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility 


In order to facilitate the delivery of programmes during the Covid-19 pandemic, module outline and order may change slightly for the academic year 2020/2021.

Year 1
Semester 1Semester 2
Biomedical ScienceConvergent Technologies
NanotechnologyBiomedical Engineering
Quality Management and Regulatory AffairsTechnology Management


The normal mininum expected entry requirement for the PG Certificate in Biomedical Engineering will be a cognate accredited NFQ Level 8 Honours, 2.2. Engineering or Science Degree.

Where candidates do not currrently meet the formal academic entry requirements they may be able to advance their application using the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) mechanism. RPL allows candidates to make a case that they do meet entry requirements through a combination of formal certified learning and learning through (work) experience. RPL applications must be made by filling out (please type) the Springboard RPL form and submitting it along with supporting documents such as academic certificates and transcripts etc. Download the WIT Springboard RPL Form here https://www.wit.ie/images/uploads/Education_School_PDF/WIT_RP6_Springboard_RPL_Form.docx

Applicants for whom english is not their first language will, in all cases, be required to submit certification that they meet WIT’s English Language Competency Requirements - please see www.wit.ie/about_wit/documents_and_policies/english_language_requirements

Course Leader

  • Course Leader

    • Dr. Philip Walsh

      B.Sc., M.Eng.Sc., MInstP MIEEE - Member of Lecturing Staff & Principal Investigator

      Tel: 51302070 Email: [email protected]

    • Course Leader

      Ask a Course Question

      If you need to contact the course leader directly, please use the email address listed above.

      If you are considering applying for this course and have particular questions about it or the application process, please use the form below to ask your question.

      To ensure your question is answered more speedily, please try to choose the relevant contact point in the drop down menu. If you are unsure of your contact point, please choose "General".