In this single 5 ECTS credit module, students will learn how to use chord symbol charts
and provide piano accompaniment in a wide range of modern settings such as:
• Classroom teaching
• Musical theatre
• Jazz, pop and rock music bands
• Social gatherings.
The module caters for both beginners and more experienced pianists who would like to move away from fully
written sheet music and develop a pianistic shorthand for various settings. Though this is an introductory
module, a basic level of general musical theory/competence is desirable.
Video Learn to play The Blues in just five Days
• Basic chordal nomenclature and theory
• Using chord charts or real books.
• Learn a basic jazzy accompaniment style and theory using the root, 3rd, and 7th of chords.
• Learn a basic pop/rock accompaniment style using triadic chord-voicings.
• Introducing the use of rhythm in accompaniment; including examples of various popular styles.
• Perform basic accompaniments and/or arrangements using all of the skills learnt during the module.
*Video: Learn to play The Blues in just five Days
A basic level of general musical competence.
Progression and Career Development
This module has been designed in line with the Teaching Council‘s requirements for the curricular subject
of Music which specifies the study of piano-keyboard. It is the responsibility of each individual applicant to
confirm his/her registration requirements with the Teaching Council. This module will also equip students with
useful piano accompaniment skills, which can be employed in a wide range of professional settings.