This section is for full-time students only.
The Student Assistance Fund provides financial assistance for full-time higher education students who are experiencing financial difficulties whilst attending college.
The Student Assistance Fund is part supported by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.
Please note that students requiring financial assistance to help with tuition fees, repeat learner fees or registration fees cannot be considered under the Student Assistance Fund.
Eligible expenses for SAF
- Class materials
- Mandatory course expenses - Course Related Expenses Form
- Heating and lighting bills
- Essential travel
- In the case of student parents, childcare costs may be included
- Medical costs
This is not an exhaustive list
Ineligible expenses for SAF
- Tuition fees
- Registration fees
- Repeat fees
- Student loans
- Store loans e.g. Littlewoods
This is not an exhaustive list
This eligibility reckoner is provided to assist you in deciding if you should apply for the Student Assistance Fund.
The eligibility reckoner provides an approximate indication of your possible eligibility for funding based on the information that you provide. This is NOT an application for funding and it is NOT an assessment of your eligibility for funding.
Commonly asked questions.
Cork Road Campus
Monday – Friday
9am – 12.30pm
2pm – 4pm
College Street Campus
Wednesdays (during term time)
9.15am - 12.30pm
2pm - 4pm
Students who have been deemed unsuccessful in the SAF application process (who are eligible to apply for SAF funding here in WIT) have the option of (1) submitting a new SAF application or (2) appealing the original decision.
Information on submitting a new SAF Application
Unsuccessful applicants have the opportunity to submit a new SAF application. In submitting this new application please be mindful of the reason you were made unsuccessful in your original application. A new application may contain new or updated information that is relevant to your circumstances.
There is no closing date for submitting your new application, however once the fund is exhausted no further payments can be made regardless of eligibility.
You have one opportunity to submit a new application. Students must meet the criteria and provide relevant and sufficient documentation. Please make sure to follow all prompts on the application and you can visit the FAQS tab on this page.
Information on the SAF Appeals Process
You may appeal the outcome of your application on the grounds that the SAF Higher Education Authority (HEA) guidelines were not adhered to. This is the only grounds for appealing a decision of the SAF committee.
Please find some information on the WIT SAF Assessment procedure as per the HEA guidelines below:
- All SAF applications are assessed by 2 members of the SAF committee.
- Following this assessment each application are deemed to be either (i) successful or (ii) unsuccessful.
- Each application is signed by both assessors and if unsuccessful the reasons for this are included on the completed application form.
- Students are informed via their student email of the SAF committees decision regarding their successful or unsuccessful application and are given the correct information about the next stage i.e. if successful; when they can expect payment and if unsuccessful what their options are in relation appealing the SAF committees decision or resubmitting their SAF application
Appeals Committee Information
The Appeals sub-group is comprised of:
- The chair of the SAF Committee.
- Two other members of the SAF committee, one of which is a sabbatical officer of the WIT Students Union.
Only committee members that have not been responsible for the original award decision will review an appeal.
Outcome of Appeals and Further Information
- The appeals meetings take place at the end of each semester.
- The outcome of appeals will be notified to your student email account following the appeals meeting within four weeks of the closing date for appeals.
- The Appeals Committee’s decision is final.
Please contact [email protected] where further information is available.