WALKTOBER is a fun, free walking challenge where teams of 3-6 people aim to increase their daily step counts, to have fun and to win prizes!
WALKTOBER runs from 1 to 31 October 2019.
WIT will be taking part in WALKTOBER step challenge along with over 80 other workplaces and organisation all over Ireland.
How to take part
- Pick a team of 3 to 6 people.
- Give your team a name and nominate a Team Captain (there will be a draw for Team Captain prizes at the end of the challenge).
- Your Team Captain will be the main point of contact for your team and will set up your team on our new Active Travel Logger website.
- Once the team is registered, all participants can set up their own account on the Active Travel Logger to log their own steps.
- Download the Smarter Travel Step Counter app for your mobile.
For more information and FAQ's please go to Smarter Travel Workplaces.
Benefits of walking
Although many people think of health in terms of illness, health is a positive concept that covers your physical, mental and social well-being (Department of Health and Children, 2000). Physical activity benefits every aspect of your health.
Adults start to get health benefits from at least 150 minutes a week of moderate physical activity, such as brisk walking. This means an average of 30 minutes of activity on five days a week. Children and young people need at least 60 minutes of moderate physical activity. It is clear from the SLÁN and HBSC studies that most Irish adults and children are not active enough to be healthy.
Want to get more physically active?