Study Abroad Waterford
Our Study Abroad programme is suitable for any international student who wishes to spend either a semester or a year of their undergraduate studies at WIT.
We offer Study Abroad programmes in the following Schools:
- Health Sciences
- Science and Computing
Study Abroad students select courses, sit examinations and receive credit just like full-time WIT students. Therefore, they become fully integrated into the student body and can avail of our on-campus accommodation, join our extensive number of clubs and societies, and benefit from the excellent support provided by our International Office team.
Study Abroad Options
A Study Abroad student must select courses that will fulfil the academic requirements of his/her home institution. Students can take up to 6 courses per semester (30 credits) and 12 courses (60 credits) for the full year. Subject choice can, where possible, cross disciplines but students must take timetable and examination scheduling into consideration when making their selection.
All Study Abroad students have a two-week trial period on their initial module choice. This ensures that the modules selected are at an appropriate level and that students make the right choices to get the most from their learning experience.
Our Study Abroad co-ordinator at WIT can advise on study plans and subject selections. Please go to the Contact Us tab for contact details.
All Study Abroad students participate in WIT’s Orientation programme, which takes place before the start of each semester.
Entry requirements for Study Abroad students are 2.7 GPA cum (min) at a recognised U.S. university or college or 60% average grades at university. You may apply directly through your home institute or through a Study Abroad agency. We do not accept students into first or final year studies.
Study Abroad Fees
Undergraduate Study Abroad fees for International students at WIT, for the 2017/2018 Academic year are as follows:
- September to December (Autumn Semester) - €5,000 per semester
- January to May (Spring Semester) - €5,000 per semester
- September to May (Full Academic year) - €10,000
- September to August (Full Academic year plus Work Placement in the summer months) - €11,500 (currently only offered under the Engineering stream)
- January to December (Full Academic year plus Work Placement in the Summer months) - €6,500 (currently only offered under the Engineering stream)
Please note: the full Study Abroad tuition fee will be refunded to a student, if the student is refused their visa. Documentary evidence of the refusal must be provided to the International Office.
So what's it like to study at WIT?
“I love my study abroad experience at WIT because I am living and learning, not visiting. I am gaining new perspectives via immersing myself in WIT’s educational program and Ireland’s culture.”
Bridget Miller (Illinois, USA) Business
"The best experience of my life so far!"
Victor Dias (São Paulo, Brazil) Electronic Engineering
"WIT not only provides an excellent study environment but also provides the opportunity to make new friends from all over the world!"
Jiangqin Li (Shanghai, China) Construction Management
Nathalia Pompeu, International Student Ambassador for WIT and study abroad student from Rio de Janeiro explains why WIT was the perfect choice for her.
Student Accommodation in Waterford
There is a good supply of high quality student accommodation in Waterford City. This includes private residential self-catering in houses or apartments and on-campus WIT student residences. Accommodation places can, however, fill up very quickly so we advise that you reserve your accommodation as early as possible before your arrival to ensure that you secure a place.
Before making your booking, we advise you to ensure you have fully read and understand the cancellation policy of your preferred accommodation in case you decide not to proceed with your booking. Homestay options are not readily available, however, you can contact us for information on this if it is your preferred option.
Some of the most popular student accommodation providers in Waterford are as follows:
Why is Waterford so Special?
- Ireland’s oldest city – filled with historic sites and cultural heriatge, walk in the steps of the Vikings!
- Safe and welcoming student-friendly city.
- Compact city centre where you can go everywhere on foot, by bike or on excellent public transport.
- Great shopping, nightlife, cultural events, festivals and music scene.
- Awarded Ireland’s cleanest city with no pollution or traffic problems.
- Awarded Purple Flag status: a Gold Standard accreditation as a safe, welcoming and vibrant place for residents and visitors.
- Award winning UNESCO Geopark along the stunning coastline of Waterford recognised for its natural, rugged beauty and geological heritage.
See the Visit Waterford Website for more information about Waterford
Study Abroad Queries
Please contact our Study Abroad co-ordinator Paula Brazil, who will be happy to answer any questions you have.
T: +353 51 834168
Waterford Institute of Technology
Waterford Institute of Technology