10 current and former WIT students are expected to pull on Déise jerseys representing Waterford against the Galway in the All Ireland Final this Sunday
At the end of what has been a fantastic season for hurling, it is now down to the last two in the race for the coveted Liam McCarthy Cup, with Waterford set to meet Galway in the final for the first time in Croke Park. This game has a 3.30pm throw in and certainly promises to be an epic encounter.
The Deise men are bidding to win the title for the first time since 1959 while Galway’s last success was in 1988. Since 1959, Waterford have been in two All-Ireland Finals but lost out to Kilkenny on both occasions (1963 and 2008). For the Tribesmen, seven finals have surpassed them since their last triumph. They lost to Cork in 1990 and 2005, to Kilkenny in 1993, 2012(replay) and 2015 and to Tipperary in 2001. They drew with Kilkenny in 2012.
In total 10 current and former WIT students are expected to be pulling on the blue and white. Update:
Waterford players (10):
- Noel Connors: Current WIT PHD Business student is club leadership within the GAA
- Austin Gleeson: Current third year Business student and sports scholarship student.
- Shane McNulty: Current third year Business student and sports scholarship student.
- Pauric Mahony: Former WIT Business Management Masters student. He won a Fitzgibbon cup with WIT in 2014 at centre-forward.
- Stephen O'Keeffe: Former WIT Business student who won the Fitzgibbon cup with WIT in 2014, playing in goal
- Shane Fives: Former Recreation and Sport Management student who, as a first year, won the Fitzgibbon cup with WIT in 2008 on the half back line.
- Kevin Moran: Former WIT Fitzgibbon cup winning captain in 2008,
- Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh: Former WIT Business Masters student and three-time Fitzgibbon cup winner with WIT 2003, 2004, 2006.
- Jake Dillon: Former WIT Recreation and Sport Management and Marketing Masters Business student. Jake won the Fitzgibbon cup with WIT in 2014. He was named man of the match in the final against CIT.
- Stephen Roche: Former WIT Business Management Masters student. He won a Fitzgibbon Cup with WIT in 2014 at midfield.
Waterford back up team (2):
- Stephen Barrett, Waterford Nutritionist, is a lecturer in the Department of Sport & Exercise Science. He is also a current PhD student at WIT.
- Gary Walsh, Waterford’s strength and conditioning coach, is a former student of Department of Sport and Exercise Science where he studied Recreation and Sport Management.
The WIT GAA Club would like to wish all players and management teams the very best of luck on Sunday. We would also like to thank and acknowledge all our current and past students for their commitment along with their tremendous discipline towards the WIT GAA Club. The Club can certainly be proud of their achievements both on and off the field. Finally, we would like to wish them all the best for the future, both in their sporting discipline and also within their studies.
Related CoursesBachelor of Business (Honours) in Business
Bachelor of Business in Business
Master of Business in (Marketing Stream)
Master of Business in (Human Resource Management Stream)
Master of Business in (Economics and Finance Stream)
Master of Business in (Corporate Administration Stream)
Master of Business in (Management Stream)