Having grown up close to the Alps and its forests, Dr Matteo Sottocornola's interest in Forestry stems from curiosity about nature and plant ecology
Dr Matteo Sottocornola, Assistant lecturer
Lectures on Forestry
Modules taught Dendrology, Forest and the Environment, Soil Management labs, Forest Economics practicals, Chemistry labs, Plant Biology labs, 4th year students' thesis supervision
Home is Italy
Land Science credentials: grown up close to the Alps and its forests.
My interest in stems from: Interest and curiosity about nature and plant ecology
Undergraduate degree Environmental Science, University of Milan (Italy)
Masters and/or PhD PhD in the Civil and Environmental Engineering department, UCC
PhD title : Four years of observation of CO2, water and energy budgets, and vegetation patterns in an Irish Atlantic blanket bog.
Research interests understanding the functioning and dynamics of natural and managed ecosystems, ecosystem productivity, carbon and water cycles, greenhouse gas fluxes from ecosystems.
Links with industry Bord na Mona through collaborations on research projects
Career trends for Forestry graduates: Forest management, Wood processing industry, State bodies (Coillte, Teagasc, Forest Service, Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine, NPWS).
The main challenge facing the Forestry industry in Ireland is: finding new land for afforestation, timber lock-up in forests and not being harvested, pests, Brexit.
My top tip for people wanting to get ahead in Forestry: Study forestry in WIT!
A little known fact about Forestry is: it is not just about chainsaw, but also about knowing and managing your forest, biology and ecology, technology, economics and much more.
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Agricultural Science
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture (Kildalton College)
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture (National Botanic Gardens)
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science & Innovation
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Land Management in Agriculture
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Land Management in Forestry
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Land Management in Horticulture