The new Waterford Courthouse consists of the demolition of a vacant fire station and 1984 extension to the historic 1849 JB Keane designed courthouse and conservation of parts of the original building with new modern extension to the rear. The completed project will accommodate 6 separate court rooms.
Full and part-time students from MSc Construction Project Management had the opportunity to visit the new courthouse in Waterford city that is currently under construction. The students were given a comprehensive overview of the use of Building Information Modelling (BIM) on BAM’s project from tender stage to operations. Mr. Kevin Hickey, BIM Manager for the project demonstrated to the students the latest technologies being used on the site. Mr. Kevin Hickey and Mr. Ken Cleere, both former graduates of WIT School of Engineering, then gave the students an educational walk through the building.
The Waterford project (c.6,400m2) consists of the demolition of a vacant fire station and 1984 extension to the historic 1849 courthouse (designed by JB Keane) and conservation of parts of the original building (which survived the 1984 works) with the addition of a significant extension to the rear. The completed project will accommodate 6 separate court rooms and all ancillary back up spaces.
The new section of the building consists of an architectural stone clad, reinforced concrete building. The existing building will have some very detailed stone restoration works carried out in order to restore it to its former magnificence.
Many thanks to BAM Contractors for allowing WIT students access to such an interesting site.