Lecturers designed workshops in electronic, electrical, building services, sustainable energy, civil, manufacturing and mechanical engineering
Transition Year students from schools around the south east recently participated in a three-day Engineers Ireland programme for Transition Year students delivered by WIT’s School of Engineering faculty.
Altogether 56 students from across the region participated in workshops as part of the Engineering Your Future programme. There were a selection of workshops including Arch and Bridge Building, Arduino Electronics and Brushbots, Building Information Modelling, 3D Mechanical Engineering Modelling and 3D printing and Material properties as well as visits to local industry including Bausch & Lomb, Keltech and Schivo.
WIT’s range of engineering courses start at level 6 and go right up to Masters level.
One of the co-ordinators of the event, Mary-Doyle Kent, Programme Leader BEng (O) in Manufacturing Engineering comments on how the students benefited.
“The transition year students had a great experience in Waterford Institute of Technology with EYF2018. Our engineering lecturers designed and brought the students through workshops in the areas of electronic, electrical, building services, sustainable energy, civil, manufacturing and mechanical engineering. By interacting with lecturers and graduates, taking part in workshops and meeting engineers during industry visits it opened up the possibility of engineering as a tangible career for them“.
This STEPS-Engineers’ Ireland-WIT programme helped them to:
- Gain a better understanding of the skills required of engineers and the career opportunities available to qualified engineers.
- Learn about the disciplines and technologies making up the exciting world of engineering.
- Meet engineers at various stages in their careers and hear about their experiences.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the diversity of engineering at third level and its subject content.
- Experience what engineers do on a daily basis through industry visits
- Explore what it’s like to undertake an engineering challenge and work in a team on a real life problem.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Engineering (Common Entry)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Electronic Engineering
- Higher Certificate in Engineering in Electronic Engineering
- Higher Certificate in Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Manufacturing Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Sustainable Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Sustainable Energy Engineering