His interest in computing and technologies led Tsvetoslav to apply for multiple IT courses. While studying Software Systems Development he discovered his passion for coding
Tsvetoslav Dimov is BSc (Hons) in Software Systems Development graduate who was a WIT student from 2016-2020. Originally from Bulgaria he is a past pupil of Instituto Bilingüe "César Vallejo", Sofia, Bulgaria.
Since I finished my course I have:
I returned to the company where I did my work placement (Routematch) as a Software Engineer. Routematch is a leading software provider of passenger transportation technologies. Shortly after my start, the company got acquired by Uber (July 2020). Since then I’ve been working on a new product that integrates Routematch technologies into Uber Transit’s service offerings.
I wanted to study BSc (Hons) in Software Systems Development at WIT because:
I was genuinely interested in computing and technologies, so I applied for multiple IT courses in WIT (Applied Computing, Entertainment Systems and Software Systems Development). My first wish was Applied Computing. However, I didn't qualify for it and started studying Software Systems Development. I am happy it worked out this way because through this course I discovered my passion for programming. By the time I finished it I was one of the top achieving students in my course and year.
Some of the highlights of my college experience at WIT include:
- Awarded first-class honours and continuously scored over 70% in every semester
- My final year project titled "Lingvino - Android App for Learning Foreign Languages & Admin-side Vue.js Web App" was among the top 3 finalist projects nominated for an "Enterprise" award in Sun Life's Academic Awards, 2020.
- I was tutor volunteer for 121 Digital. There I paired with a learner, provided support in resolving problems that they have experienced with electronic devices (laptops, tablets, mobile phones) and taught them in a step by step manner how to use these devices and their functions.
Work placement participation benefited my college experience in the following way:
Why I would recommend studying in Waterford/WIT:
WIT is a great place to kickstart your career development and it offers a wide variety of courses to pick from. The computing selection of courses is plenty and the lectures go out of their way to help you achieve your professional goals. I chose WIT because I wanted to stay close to my family, keep my part-time job throughout the studies and minimize the cost of living compared to cities like Dublin and Cork.
My advice for anyone considering the BSc (Hons) in Software Systems Development course is:
While the course teaches a wide variety of technologies, it only gives the basic knowledge required to start working with them. A student should:
- Pick a company they’d like to work for. Find out what the company's tech stack is, become somewhat experienced with it by following tutorials online, and get your hands dirty with coding!
- Learn how to use a version control tool such as Git and regularly push your work to GitHub. Develop your portfolio as your progress with studying and showcase your projects to potential employers.
- There's a big chance the lecturers in WIT can refer you to employees of your desired company. WIT graduates end up working not only in local companies but also in different countries!