From Ashbourne Cup winners to current sports scholarship students, 17 students and alumni involved in the All Ireland Camogie Finals have WIT links
The finals of the Liberty Insurance All Ireland Camogie championship feature on Sunday, 9 September in Croke Park and Waterford Institute of Technology will be strongly represented on the day.
From Ashbourne Cup winning graduates to current sports scholarship students, altogether 17 students and alumni involved have been involved with WIT. The Kilkenny senior team is also managed by the trio who have managed WIT senior Camogie side for four years.
Just like last year, two former classmates will face each other in this year’s final. BSc (Hons) General Nursing students Laura Treacy (Cork) and Julieanne Malone (Kilkenny) will come up against each other in the hope of winning the coveted O’Duffy Cup.
Balancing academic work and camogie
Kilkenny’s Julianne Malone, a former WIT Viking Sports Scholarship student, completed her honours degree in Nursing at WIT last year and says “WIT helped me greatly in relation to balancing my academic work with camogie. The sports scholarship offered me nutritional advice, training programmes and academic support such as grinds.
“When I was on placement in UHW (University Hospital Waterford), it was a particularly challenging time because I was trying to juggle work with training, but the scholarship helped me to overcome that obstacle. My lecturers and class-mates were great, and made my four years at WIT all the more enjoyable,” she adds.
It is now 36 years from the time when the WIT Vikings GAA club was founded. Since its inception, the club has gone from strength to strength.
Well wishes from WIT
WIT Vikings GAA Development Officer Katie Redmond said ahead of Sunday: “The WIT Vikings GAA Club would like to wish all players and management teams the very best of luck in their respective finals. We would also like to thank and acknowledge all our current and past students for their commitment along with their tremendous discipline towards the WIT Vikings GAA Club. The club can certainly be proud of their achievements both on and off the field and we would like to wish them all the best for the future, both in their sporting discipline and also within their studies. Finally, a sincere thank you must go to the WIT Arena for providing facilities that are top class and serve as an exceptional facility for such players while playing for the WIT Vikings GAA Club.”
WIT's President, Prof Willie Donnelly, wished the camogie teams well. "WIT enjoys further strong links to Croke Park this weekend with 17 students and alumni involved in the Liberty Insurance All Ireland Camogie Finals. On behalf of staff and students we wish the very best to our students and alumni in what I’m sure will be a very exciting weekend of sport. Our best wishes also to the members of the Kilkenny senior backroom team who coached the WIT senior camogie squad to a wonderful victory in the Ashbourne Cup in 2015."
Liberty Insurance All Ireland Senior Camogie Final 2017
At 4.15pm, Kilkenny and Cork will once again battle it out in the All-Ireland Senior Camogie Final.
Cork Senior Camogie (1):
Laura Treacy is a General Nursing graduate (2017) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
Senior Kilkenny Camogie (12):
1. Denise Gaule is a former Business graduate and current Building Services Technology student. Denise is a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient and was the Ashbourne winning captain of WIT in 2012.
2. Meighan Farrell is an Early Childhood Studies graduate (2017) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
3. Michelle Quilty is a Recreation and Sport Management graduate (2011) and Masters in Sports Psychology graduate (2012). Michelle was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient and is also currently a WIT Arena staff member.
4. Julieanne Malone is a General Nursing graduate (2017) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
5. Ann Dalton is a Legal Studies graduate (2011) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient. Ann was the Ashbourne winning captain and WIT Sport-star of the Year in 2011
6. Colette Dormer is an Architectural Technology graduate (2014) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
7. Edwina Keane is a Recreation and Sport Management graduate (2011) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
8. Katie Power is a Business graduate (2014) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
9. Shelly Farrell is an Exercise & Health Studies graduate (2014) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
10. Miriam Walsh is a Business graduate (2016) and was a WIT Vikings Sports Scholarship recipient.
11. Danielle Morrissey is a new WIT student (2018) and is studying Health Science (Honours).
12. Aoife Doyle is a new WIT student (2018) and is studying Science (Honours).
A further WIT tie-in is that the Kilkenny senior team is managed by the trio who have been managed the WIT Senior Camogie side for 4 years, achieving the Ashbourne title in 2015 in their first year in charge. They are: Ann Downey, Paddy Mullally and Conor Phelan - Conor Phelan a WIT graduate of the Recreation and Sport Management course and Masters in Business Studies is a former GAA Development Officer at WIT. Conor now works in Student Life and Learning in WIT. Mark Cooney who has and is involved within the Hurling set up at WIT is also within the Kilkenny backroom team, thus furthering the link.
This prestigious weekend marks the 6th year of Liberty Insurance as the joint sponsor of the All-Ireland Camogie and Hurling championships. Further ticket details are available on
Related CoursesBachelor of Business (Honours) in Business
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Early Childhood Studies
Bachelor of Science (Honours) in General Nursing
Bachelor of Business in Recreation & Sport Management
Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Recreation & Sport Management
Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies
Higher Certificate in Arts in Legal Studies
Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Exercise Sciences (Common Entry)
Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Health & Exercise Science
Bachelor of Science in Architectural Technology