Waterford Institute of Technology actively encourages and promotes interaction between the Institute and external parties such as business, government and the community. It interacts with these organisations in a number of different ways including:
- Collaborating on research
- Providing incubation and business mentoring support to startup enterprises
- Access to specialised facilities and consultancy services
The Industry Services Office within the Office of Research & Innovation at WIT promotes and facilitates interaction between the Institute and external organisations.
Collaborating on Research
In line with WIT’s objectives, ongoing research activity is conducted in conjunction with a variety of partners, for example, large and small industries, both at a National and European level, government agencies, and public sector research institutes.
There are many funding support mechanisms available to facilitate this collaboration, of which, some are detailed below:
Innovation Vouchers Programme
The aim of the Innovation Vouchers Programme funded by Enterprise Ireland is to build links between Small Businesses and Knowledge Providers like WIT. The Voucher which is worth €5,000 can be exchanged for expertise and guidance from the extensive knowledge pool at WIT. The Innovation Voucher allows you to concentrate on running your business while WIT comes up with a solution that could take your business to the next level.
The next Opening date for the Enterprise Ireland Innovation Voucher Application Scheme is:
Wednesday 6th September, 2017
Closing Date is: Wednesday 20th September, 2017 at 3pm
What can Innovation Vouchers be used for?
- new product/process development
- new business model development;
- new service delivery and customer interface;
- new service development;
- tailored training in innovation management;
- innovation/technology audit.
A company may make use of the Innovation Voucher initiative as frequently as required. However, a company may have only one ‘active’ voucher at any point in time.
How to Apply
Applications are made via an online application system and WIT will work with you to develop a successful proposal. If you are a first-time applicant, you will have to register on the Enterprise Ireland Online Application System and create your own account. EI will not accept voucher applications via any other method (word documents are no longer considered valid submissions). Please note that you do not have to be a client of Enterprise Ireland, nor have an Enterprise Ireland Development Adviser to apply for a voucher.
If you would like to find out more about the programme, assistance with identifying potential clients or with structuring the applications please contact:
Mr. Ciaran Cullen
ArcLabs Innovation Centre
e: [email protected]
t: +353 51 302975
For more information and the application form visit: Enterprise Ireland Innovation Vouchers
Available Voucher Types
Standard €5k vouchers are available to assist a company explore a business opportunity or problem with a registered knowledge provider. You can only apply for one of these standard €5,000 vouchers during one of our open calls. You do not need to identify your knowledge provider in advance and they are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. Please consult our schedule of calls when submitting your application.
2.Co-funded Fast Track Application:
The value of the voucher is €5,000 and the company contributes 50% of the project costs in cash. Therefore, a company may use a Fast Track voucher to cover project costs up to €10,000 on a 50-50 co-funded basis. The company and the knowledge provider jointly agree on the work programme for the project in advance of submitting an application. Companies may wish to use this option when they are no longer eligible for a standard voucher (may have used two or more standard vouchers) or where time to market is critical and the schedule for the standard call is not suitable. This voucher application can be submitted at any time and a response may be expected within four weeks.
Eligibility Criteria / Conditions of Use / Exclusions:
- Companies may make use of a maximum of three vouchers, one of which must be a 50-50 co-funded Fast Track voucher.
- Small companies that have been approved in excess of €300,000 funding from Enterprise Ireland in the previous 5 years are not eligible to apply for a fully funded 5k Standard Innovation Voucher, but are eligible to apply for a Co-Funded Innovation Voucher provided they satisfy all other eligibility criteria.
- A company may only have one ‘active’ voucher at any point in time. Companies should ensure that the voucher has been redeemed by the knowledge provider before applying for a subsequent voucher.
- Companies will not be eligible for further vouchers until their accounts with the knowledge providers are settled in full (including the payment of VAT).
- Please note that the Innovation Vouchers are EXCLUSIVE OF VAT. You will be charged VAT by the knowledge provider and this cost MUST be settled separately by the company.
- Small enterprises in the agricultural sector are excluded in line with State aid guidelines.
- Companies with charitable status, commercial semi-state companies, “not for profit” organisations, trade associations, company representation bodies such as Chambers of Commerce, Sports Clubs and other non-commercial bodies or associations are not eligible to participate in the innovation voucher initiative.
Innovation Partnership Initiative
Companies can access the latest skills and expertise from research institutes throughout Ireland including Waterford Institute of Technology. Through the Innovation Partnership Programme, Enterprise Ireland can provide up to 80% of the cost of collaborative and innovative research. It is open to all manufacturing, processing and internationally traded service companies based in Ireland. An Innovation Partnership with a third level research institution can:
- Increase the development potential of your business
- Give your company access to technical expertise and specialised facilities within the Irish third-level sector
- Provide a cost-effective approach to innovative product and process development
The proposal process and administration of the project is managed by WIT.
Currently WIT has innovation partnerships with companies such as Genzyme, Eirgen, Bausch & Lomb, Munster Express, Honeywell and 02.
Click here to view an overview presentation on The Innovation Partnerships Programme.
For more information on this programme, click here: http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/ipp
How to apply
If you would like to find out more information on Innovation Partnerships please contact:
Irish Research Council Enterprise Partnership Scheme
The Enterprise Partnership Scheme aims to facilitate the establishment of new relationships and the strengthening of existing relationships between industry and academia while offering financial support to researchers at an early stage of their career development.
The Scheme provides industry with flexible and easy access to an exceptional pool of competitively selected, high calibre researchers and the opportunity to build links with relevant academic research groups.
It offers researchers the opportunity to gain additional beneficial experience and insight into the commercial arena while completing their research.
Participation also provides the opportunity to develop links to specialised research groups within Irish Higher Education Institutes.
Benefits for Companies:
- Maximise potential for innovation
- Develop links to specialised academic research groups
- Access to potential future employees
- Minimum financial contribution
- Open to SMEs, larger companies and multinational companies
- Easy to become involved
How to apply:
Click here to link to the Irish Research Council website for more information on how to apply for the Enterprise Partnership Scheme.