Commercialisation of Research
As part of the Institute's Research & Knowledge Strategy, the Technology Transfer Office (TTO) was formed to advance the Institute’s key strategic goals by working with researchers to broaden their route to commercialisation. Towards these goals, the Technology Transfer Office assists in identifying Intellectual Property, securing and maintaining Intellectual Property rights where appropriate and facilitating the exploitation of Intellectual Property in a fashion consistent with the Institute’s values and mission. As a result, WIT has a broad range of commercially focused research in all areas across the Institute from the Pharmaceutical to the ICT sector.
The WIT Technology Transfer Office is funded by Enterprise Ireland and is part of a Technology Transfer consortium, along with Athlone IT, and IT Carlow and led by Maynooth University.
The TTO assists the research community in:
- Provide training and support on Intellectual Property matters
- Assist in formulating invention disclosures, and processing Patent Applications
- Evaluate, in cooperation with other Institute staff and outside experts as appropriate:
- The commercial potential of Intellectual Property
- The appropriate form(s) of Intellectual Property protection to be pursued
- Develop and undertake an appropriate commercialisation strategy for Institute owned Intellectual Property
- Assist in negotiating those portions of contracts and agreements between the Institute and outside parties concerned with the ownership, protection and exploitation of Intellectual Property
- Deal with Intellectual Property issues that may arise in the administration of such agreements or contracts