Our progress so far
Waterford Institute of Technology is pleased to announce that in July of 2020, the Institute has retained its HR Excellence in Research award for its long-term commitment to the career development of its researchers. WIT is the first Institute of Technology in Ireland to be successful at the award renewal phase, following a virtual review by three European Commission external assessors. Read more about the award renewel here »
Since the Institutional endorsement of the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers in 2012, WIT has gone through various steps in the HRS4R process including Internal Audit with Gap Analysis and Action Plan, followed by Interim Assessment in 2016, and most recent application to the Award Renewal phase in June 2020. A report on "Strengthening Our HR Excellence in Research Journey at WIT " has been prepared and we invite you to download and explore our developments during this time.
In 2014, WIT gained the HR Excellence in Research Award in recognition of the Institute’s on-going commitment to adopting the principles of The European Charter for Researchers and a Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. This commitment is echoed in the Institute’s Research Strategy (view WIT's Letter of Endorsement to Charter and Code ).
- In 2013 WIT conducted an internal analysis.
- In 2014 WIT published an Action Plan .
- The Action Plan was acknowledged by the European Commission via the HR Excellence in Research Award in 2014.
- In 2016 WIT successfully completed the 2-year Self-Assessment and retained the HR Excellence in Research Award with an evolved action plan for 2016 onwards.
- A further evaluation will be conducted by external peer review in 2020. See updated Action Plan 2020-2023 ; Internal Review Document ; OTMR Checklist 2020 and WIT's Researcher OTMR Policy 2020.
Through the work undertaken to gain the award, we have demonstrated our commitment to improving the working conditions and career development for our Researchers. We will continue to work across departments, divisions, and with Researchers themselves to achieve these aims and ensure that Researchers have the best possible experience of working at WIT.
Some of our key areas of focus in the context of this strategy are shown in the diagram below. Please click on a title to explore further, what WIT has been doing in these areas.