Springboard 2021 Application Resources
Points of note:
- Budget increased by €7m to €41.5.
- Make the case based on industry and employment context and stats for SE for 2021 and into the next years - Covid and post-Covid / post-Brexit / new Enviro Regulatory regimes / Online Learning/Working/Commerce normalised
- with the multi-faceted Future Work / Green / Productivity of Irish SMEs agendas coming right back into strong focus once a corner is turned on Covid. Indeed skills needs in those Future Jobs Ireland areas will have been amplified as Covid has stymied current innovation / new business development work as employers had to concentrate on getting through the pandemic.
- Applications will be considered by review teams not all of whom will be academics in the area - perhaps aim for style of a popular professional/scientific journal or quality broadsheet - rather than a full-on academic journal article.
- include any footnotes or references in your word-count - the application text is pasted into a web-portal - we do not submit a Word document.
- the opening 'Course Description' paragraph is critical - a readable and compelling [ i.e. strategic mention of the key compelling pieces of evidence without jarring the narrative flow ] case for the need for the course.
- Specific discussion of how the course overall and/or its constituent modules contribute to building students' 'digital skills, transversal skills, management and leadership skills and the workplace of the future':
- These skills are key to building 'lifelong learning' capacity in the Irish population - due to a now-recognised historic underperformance in this area this is a key target area for Minister Harris/DFHERIS/HEA as per the social and economic exigencies set out in Future Jobs Ireland etc. Applications that include some good engagement ( rather than just parrotting the phrases ) with this agenda put themselves at an advantage.
- Unemployment now high again so 'job readiness' / career guidance ( both in terms of chosing the right course and plotting the next career steps to make best use of the course on completion ) back on the agenda:
- there doesn't have to be a 'job readiness' module but does have to be an expressed explicit commitment that students will be systematically offerred 'job readiness / career guidance' supports and services as part of the Springboard learning experience.
- Work Placement/Credit Bearing Project not mandatory for courses other than ICTSkills HDips
- including a placement/work-based-project will be an advantage - expecially to courses with higher number of credits - as there will be a greater proportion of unemployed students in 2021/22.
- where there isn't a distinct credit-baring placement/project applications might usefully mention and work-based learning/assessment activites.
- physical placement may well not be possible in 2021/22 but make the case for the quality work-based-learning alternative being offerred.
- Pandemic Response (questions 31-33) will obviously be closely considered:
- Talk to positive elements of quality of courses delivered thus far in pandemic, learnings from 2020/21 being brought to bear in 2021/22 incl explicit mention of developments in delivery shaped by constructive student feedback.
- "Courses at Level 6 in a defined advancement to Level 7 will be particularly welcome".
- 'Consortium' Proposals / Consortia with ITC welcome.
Deadline for submission of proposals Mon 8th March 2021, 13.00 hrs
Providers notified & applications open via www.springboardcourses.ie May 2021
2021 Application Template
2020 Call Documentation and HEA 'Provider FAQs'
- Orginal Call Document / Call doc with key points for Course Teams highlighted
- HEA Briefing Presentation / Download and watch video of HEA Presentation
- HEA Provider FAQs
Full List of SB Courses Funded in 2020 Across All Providers
Costing your Course Proposal
- HEA Springboard Costing Reference Sheet 2020
- this is a general reference - courses that charge higher rates per 10 credits are routinely funded if a compelling case is made
- costing is one element of the marking scheme
- Talk to your HoD / Talk to Cristíona Innseadúin in Finance - include any known or potential non-pay costs
- Final Application / Costings porposed must come thru HoD/HoS
- Sooner rather than later / talk to Paul O'Leary in Registry
- New Courses :
- SB application requires a lighter CE1 / Executive Approval
- Moodle / Academic Council Information Area / Academic QA Templates & Forms
- Quality Promotion Office Multi Media file son Completing CE1, CE2
National Skills Bulletin 2020 https://www.solas.ie/f/70398/x/7b02b880e3/national-skills-bulletin_2020.pdf
SLMRU Lifelong Learning Amongst Adults in Q4 2019 https://www.solas.ie/f/70398/x/715aebfcc7/lifelong-learning-among-adults_q4-2019.pdf
SLMRU Monitoring Ireland’s Skills Supply 2020 https://www.regionalskills.ie/documents-publications/monitoring-irelands-skills-supply-2020.pdf
SLMRU Autumn Skills Bulletin 2020 Profile of Part-Time Workers in Ireland, Quarter 1 2020 https://www.regionalskills.ie/imagelibary/regional%20skills%20-%20national/publications-/publications-pdf/15449_solas_autumn_skills_bulletin_2020_web.pdf
National Policies / Strategies
Project Ireland 2040 https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/580a9d-project-2040-documents/
Future Jobs Ireland / Future Jobs Ireland Executive Summary
https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/Publication-files/Future-Jobs-Ireland-2019.pdf / https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/Publication-files/Future-Jobs-Ireland-2019-Executive-Summary.pdf
EGFSN Digital Transformation: Assessing the Impact of Digitalisation on Ireland's Workforce
EGFSN Technology Skills 2022 https://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Policy-Reports/technology-skills-2022.pdf
South East Regional Skills Forum / SERSF docs:
Report on Skills needs in Pharma / Medtech in SE https://www.regionalskills.ie/Regions/southeast/News/ANALYSIS-FEEDBACK-RECOMMENDATIONS-ON-SKILLS-NEEDS-PHARMACEUTICAL-MEDICAL-DEVICES-INDUSTRIES.pdf
Report on Skills Needs in Engineering in SE https://www.regionalskills.ie/Regions/southeast/News/Engineering-Report-Findings-from-a-survey-of-Engineering-Manufacturing-Companies-in-the-South-East-.pdf
Report on Skills needs in ICT in the SE https://www.regionalskills.ie/regions/southeast/news/study-of-the-future-skills-needs-of-the-ict-sector-in-the-south-east.pdf
Other South East Resources
Project Ireland South East https://assets.gov.ie/8347/336a768731914d95b66177ecbe550e7e.pdf
South East Regional Enterprise Plan https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/Publication-files/South-East-Regional-Enterprise-Plan-to-2020.pdf
Southern Regional Assembly Regional Spatial and Economic Strategy https://www.southernassembly.ie/uploads/minutes-files/Draft_RSES_2018_-_WEB1.pdf
South East Industry Clusters
Crystal Valley Tech https://crystalvalley.io/
Engineering the South East https://www.linkedin.com/company/engineering-the-south-east/
Ireland South East Financial Services Cluster https://irelandsoutheast.com/invest/financial-services/
OECD Employment Outlook 2020 - http://www.oecd.org/employment-outlook/2020/
OECD Future Ready Adult Learning - http://www.oecd.org/els/emp/skills-and-work/adult-learning/Policy-Brief-Future-ready-adult-learning-2019-EN.pdf
OECD Conceptual Learning Framework 'Transformative Competencies for 2030' - http://www.oecd.org/education/2030-project/teaching-and-learning/learning/transformative-competencies/Transformative%20Competencies%20for%202030.pdf
European Commission - The Future of Work? Work of the Future! - https://ec.europa.eu/epsc/sites/epsc/files/ai-report_online-version.pdf
United Nations https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/?menu=1300