The SURE Network is delighted to host the First Annual Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conferences (SURE 2018) on 28th September 2018 in Athlone Institute of Technology, Dublin Institute of Technology and Waterford Institute of Technology.
Students from 12 Institutes of Technology throughout Ireland who are completing their Final Year Project in 2017-18 are invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference.
The aims of the conference are to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
Waterford Institute of Technology will host students from
- Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Cork Institute of Technology
- Abstract submission system opens: Monday, 26th March 2018
- Abstract submission deadline: Friday, 1st June 2018 [For cohorts with a Final Year
- Conference date: Friday, 28th September 2018
- Conference theme: “Sharing Discovery”
Students and graduates who have recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline are invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions are invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
Students wishing to make a submission for SURE 2018 must do the following:
- Prepare an 250 word abstract using the Abstract Submission Template that clearly communicates their research to a scientific audience that may not necessarily have expertise in their own discipline.
- Prepare a consent form using the Consent Form Template signed by their project supervisor.
- Upload the abstract and consent form (this can be submitted using the Cover Letter facility) using the Submission System, providing name, email and affiliation of the student as first author and name, email and affiliation of the supervisor as second author. (Note: you will need to create an account of the Submission System. You will be prompted to do so as soon as you click on Submit Article on the home page.)
The deadline for submission is Friday, 1st June 2018.
If your Final Year Project submission deadline is after this date, please ask your Project Coordinators to contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.
Your submission will be reviewed by two experts in your field, and you will be notified of the outcome by email.
Authors will be invited to make and oral presentation or a poster presentation at the conference. Oral presentations will be 10 minutes in duration. A laptop and projector will be available for presenters who wish to use MS PowerPoint on the day.
Posters will be formatted in portrait or landscape format. Posters can be up to a maximum of A0 size i.e. 841 x 1189mm or 33.1 x 46.8 inches. Presenters must be available for discussions about the poster during the conference.
All accepted authors will be invited to a preparatory session in advance on the conference.